Name:
Location: Irvine, California, United States

E-mail Me

My Blog Profile

Technorati search

    WWW
    ...in the outer...

My Amazon Wish List

    Search Now:

Subscribe

Help fuel my writing dream...

My Bloglines Subs & Stuff

    Listed by category are subscriptions to blogs I monitor and read. Check them out!

    Note: Sites listed by this blog does not imply endorsement of anything except when they promote this site.

Other Cool Sites I Visit

Recommended for your Library


    Ethics: The Heart of Leadership

    Edited by Joanne Ciulla. An important collection of essays by philosophers, leadership and management thinkers considering the role of ethics in leadership


    Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

    By Robert K. Greenleaf, Larry C. Spears, Stephen R. Covey. Servant and leader--can these two roles be fused in one real person in all levels of status and calling?


    Warranted Christian Belief

    By Alvin Plantinga. Third in a trilogy of works on the issue of warrant - the basis of the rationality of Christian beliefs written by arguably the most important philosopher of religion alive today


    Renovation of the Heart

    By Dallas Willard. A philosopher and quintessential Christian teacher relates and reflects on what it means to put on the character of Christ.


    Foreign Bodies

    By Hwee Hwee Tan. An impressive first novel by young new author from Singapore acclaimed as an up and coming Pulitzer Prize winner


    Mammon Inc.

    By Hwee-Hwee Tan. Second novel by this very important young new author from Singapore applauded the world over, including The Times in London and the New York Times


    Three Philosophies of Life

    By Peter Kreeft. Three life philosophies presented through the works of three of Scriptures most beautiful poetry books, Job, Ecclesiastes and Songs of Solomon


    Horrendous Evil and the Goodness of God

    By Marilyn McCord-Adams. A seminal response to the age-old problem of evil which attempts to take seriously the theological ramifications of the character of God


    Blink

    By Malcolm Gladwell. Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant.


    Smart Mobs

    By Howard Rheingold. A social commentary about how "sophisticated mobile Internet access is allowing people who don't know each other to act in concert".


    Linked

    By Albert-Laszlo Barabasi. An engaging treatise about the fundamentals of interconnectedness and complexity that underlies neurology, epidemiology, Internet traffic, and many other fields.


    The Peaceable Kingdom

    By Stanley Hauerwas. A clear explication of a Christian ethic based upon the meaning of the gospel, highlighting virtues and character, and narrative as a mode of ethical reflection.


    The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Gospel & Wisdom, Gospel & Revelation

    By Graeme Goldsworthy. A collection of masterful works expositing on the centrality of the Scriptures: the gospel of Jesus Christ.


    Grace and Law: St. Paul, Kant, and the Hebrew Prophets

    By Heinz Cassirer. A Kantian scholar looks at the Old Testament Law, and Paul's understanding of it, concluding that Kant's delimma is answered by the gospel of grace.

The Un-Right Christians

Progressive Christian Blogger Network

Church Directory of Evangelical Blogs

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Prayer: On asking God to intervene

I was distraught. Something was troubling me. I can't remember exactly what now - it was a long time ago. What I do remember was sharing with this sister in Christ one Sunday morning after a church service about my situation. She listened empathically and then opened the Bible to share a passage of Scripture with me. It was from the book of Exodus chapter 3. She read the passage out loud:
The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey-the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."
She highlighted to me the four things this passage tells us about God 's response to His people's prayers. He sees their misery... He hears their cries... He cares about their suffering... and He comes to rescue... I was encouraged about God's active response to His people's prayers. Although I now can't remember what I was distressed about at the time, I do remember that I felt a deep sense of relieve as if a huge burden was lifted from my shoulders, upon realizing that the God I worshipped is one Who actively engages Himself with me.

This passage has impacted me quite a bit over the years. And I have reflected much about its message. I am encouraged of God's reassurance of His love, knowledge, compassion, and power. This passage says it all. When we pray and cry out to God, we do not do so in a vacuum. He says He sees the reason for our prayers. He hears our petitions. He shares our feelings. And He comes down to act on our behalf. To rescue us.

Then one day I was asked to teach at church on the topic of God's Sovereignty, Omnipotence and Providence. Big words. I started with my theology texts, moving on to the concordance and Bible commentaries and started thinking about these exalted topics. My meditations led me back to this passage, and then it was as if a light bulb went on. More light a spot light, actually.

Verse 10 in the passage says, "So, now go. I am sending you..."

It became clear to me. When we pray, God comes down to interact with us. He comes to commune with us. He comes to be with us in our situation. Not just be with us. He wants to be God in our situation. He says, "I am with you; therefore, Go." So, prayer and God's answer to our prayer is about entering into God's heart and being ready for Him to enter into ours in a mysterious way to transform us.

So often we think of prayer as God transforming circumstances, others, situations, governments, demons, and everything else outside of us. Yet, prayer is one of the ways God uses to focus on us, and He is more interested in working in us. We say, "Lord, give us a job, give us a wife/husband, give us good fortune, give us..." He says, "Son/Daughter, what can I do in you?" We ask... seek... knock... and He says, "Here is the Holy Spirit. Myself. Let's talk."

You see, prayer is not just about asking God to do or to give. It is not so much asking God to do it on our behalf but to enter into God's work in and through our lives as we enter into His life and work. In my series on God's Sovereignty, Omnipotence and Providence, I used this passage to illustrate these grand theological ideas. I ended that section with these words, "When you get on your knees, you better be ready to get on your feet."