Name:
Location: Irvine, California, United States

E-mail Me

My Blog Profile

Technorati search

    WWW
    ...in the outer...

My Amazon Wish List

    Search Now:

Subscribe

Help fuel my writing dream...

My Bloglines Subs & Stuff

    Listed by category are subscriptions to blogs I monitor and read. Check them out!

    Note: Sites listed by this blog does not imply endorsement of anything except when they promote this site.

Other Cool Sites I Visit

Recommended for your Library


    Ethics: The Heart of Leadership

    Edited by Joanne Ciulla. An important collection of essays by philosophers, leadership and management thinkers considering the role of ethics in leadership


    Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

    By Robert K. Greenleaf, Larry C. Spears, Stephen R. Covey. Servant and leader--can these two roles be fused in one real person in all levels of status and calling?


    Warranted Christian Belief

    By Alvin Plantinga. Third in a trilogy of works on the issue of warrant - the basis of the rationality of Christian beliefs written by arguably the most important philosopher of religion alive today


    Renovation of the Heart

    By Dallas Willard. A philosopher and quintessential Christian teacher relates and reflects on what it means to put on the character of Christ.


    Foreign Bodies

    By Hwee Hwee Tan. An impressive first novel by young new author from Singapore acclaimed as an up and coming Pulitzer Prize winner


    Mammon Inc.

    By Hwee-Hwee Tan. Second novel by this very important young new author from Singapore applauded the world over, including The Times in London and the New York Times


    Three Philosophies of Life

    By Peter Kreeft. Three life philosophies presented through the works of three of Scriptures most beautiful poetry books, Job, Ecclesiastes and Songs of Solomon


    Horrendous Evil and the Goodness of God

    By Marilyn McCord-Adams. A seminal response to the age-old problem of evil which attempts to take seriously the theological ramifications of the character of God


    Blink

    By Malcolm Gladwell. Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant.


    Smart Mobs

    By Howard Rheingold. A social commentary about how "sophisticated mobile Internet access is allowing people who don't know each other to act in concert".


    Linked

    By Albert-Laszlo Barabasi. An engaging treatise about the fundamentals of interconnectedness and complexity that underlies neurology, epidemiology, Internet traffic, and many other fields.


    The Peaceable Kingdom

    By Stanley Hauerwas. A clear explication of a Christian ethic based upon the meaning of the gospel, highlighting virtues and character, and narrative as a mode of ethical reflection.


    The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Gospel & Wisdom, Gospel & Revelation

    By Graeme Goldsworthy. A collection of masterful works expositing on the centrality of the Scriptures: the gospel of Jesus Christ.


    Grace and Law: St. Paul, Kant, and the Hebrew Prophets

    By Heinz Cassirer. A Kantian scholar looks at the Old Testament Law, and Paul's understanding of it, concluding that Kant's delimma is answered by the gospel of grace.

The Un-Right Christians

Progressive Christian Blogger Network

Church Directory of Evangelical Blogs

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Walking through the valley

Previously, I blogged about my current jobless state and how it has rattled my cage.

I have been mostly silent about this whole process over here at my blog the last few days, but the emotional roller-coaster has been throwing me around, tossing me about and driving me nuts.

Last week was especially bad.

I had seemingly exhausted all known leads for possible job prospects and none had gone past the "phone-interview" phase.

In fact, by Tuesday I was almost convinced that I was truly unemployable and that I had to make some drastic decisions about my future and my family's well-being.

And I mean drastic.

Drastic but ill-advised and possibly, dumb.

My logic was off-balanced by my depression, but even in that grasping-on-to-the-straws state, I hung on to the tiny bit of hope/trust I have in God.

I was describing my condition to someone as hunging on by the skin of my teeth, and yet I was aware at the back of my mind that underneath me are the everlasting arms of my loving Heavenly Father.

Anyhow, I survived the emotional down-swing of my bipolar condition and came out of it slightly scathed, but with a little glimmer of hope that I might have found a job
that is ideal for me, given my passion, skills, experience and personality.

It is not only a job that my skills, training and experience will put me in good stead as a worker, but it was also a job with a company whose ethos and culture in which I belive I could thrive in. So, I went in to the interview and was really gung ho about it all. I sold myself like I have never done so before.

About fifteen minutes into the interview, one of the interviewer said to me, "____, I am sorry, but I do not wish to waste your time and mine. You are just not the right person for this job."

I thought, Hmmm, good ploy. He is only trying to see how I handle objections. So I put out a teaser and after a couple of exchanges to determine that it was the right move, I went into my Objection Handling Spiel.

He put out the palm of his hand in front of my face.

"Let's just leave it at that, shall we?"

To say that I was dismayed is understating it.

What do you mean? You hardly know me! I am so right for the job! I can do it too! Wait! You are making a bloody mistake!

As I drove away from that interview, anger turned into self-pity.

If only I had been more agressive. If only I had given them more information about ...

Self-pity turned into self-loathing.

You fucking idiot. You blew it! I knew it! You didn't have it in you! You bloody imposter! Who do you think you are! You are a useless no-good sonofabitch! You're a bum!

Self-loathing turned worse...

In the midst of all this mental self-torture, I saw that I was beating up myself because of how I was viewing myself.

You see, I judged myself based on who I thought I was. And that view of myself was based on what I had or had not achieved. And what I have or don't have in my bank accounts and my non-existent stock portfolio.

Further, I also saw that my depression, or at least some of what was contributing to my distress, mental torment and my generally downcast feeling was the idea that I was solely responsible for supporting my family, being "successful" in life and fulfilling my duties as a father, provider and defender of my family.

God had to jolt me out of my stupor and think outside of myself. He had to lead me to the place where I have to acknowledge His Lordship and Providence for my family.

When I finally came to realize that He is indeed my Father Who cares for me, loves me and provides for me, I begin to open my eyes to the vast resources He has already prepared for me. I begin to pray, "Lord, help me to find my strength, resources, contentment and completeness in you alone."

My wife reminded me that the promise that He has given us in Genesis 50:20,21 and Psalm 81:10 still hold true.

She also reminded me that when my mind goes astray and starts to wander in the labyrinths of worry and fear, to only dwell (think/meditate/reflect) on
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable.
This I will do, and I will rest on the Lord.