Name:
Location: Irvine, California, United States

E-mail Me

My Blog Profile

Technorati search

    WWW
    ...in the outer...

My Amazon Wish List

    Search Now:

Subscribe

Help fuel my writing dream...

My Bloglines Subs & Stuff

    Listed by category are subscriptions to blogs I monitor and read. Check them out!

    Note: Sites listed by this blog does not imply endorsement of anything except when they promote this site.

Other Cool Sites I Visit

Recommended for your Library


    Ethics: The Heart of Leadership

    Edited by Joanne Ciulla. An important collection of essays by philosophers, leadership and management thinkers considering the role of ethics in leadership


    Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

    By Robert K. Greenleaf, Larry C. Spears, Stephen R. Covey. Servant and leader--can these two roles be fused in one real person in all levels of status and calling?


    Warranted Christian Belief

    By Alvin Plantinga. Third in a trilogy of works on the issue of warrant - the basis of the rationality of Christian beliefs written by arguably the most important philosopher of religion alive today


    Renovation of the Heart

    By Dallas Willard. A philosopher and quintessential Christian teacher relates and reflects on what it means to put on the character of Christ.


    Foreign Bodies

    By Hwee Hwee Tan. An impressive first novel by young new author from Singapore acclaimed as an up and coming Pulitzer Prize winner


    Mammon Inc.

    By Hwee-Hwee Tan. Second novel by this very important young new author from Singapore applauded the world over, including The Times in London and the New York Times


    Three Philosophies of Life

    By Peter Kreeft. Three life philosophies presented through the works of three of Scriptures most beautiful poetry books, Job, Ecclesiastes and Songs of Solomon


    Horrendous Evil and the Goodness of God

    By Marilyn McCord-Adams. A seminal response to the age-old problem of evil which attempts to take seriously the theological ramifications of the character of God


    Blink

    By Malcolm Gladwell. Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant.


    Smart Mobs

    By Howard Rheingold. A social commentary about how "sophisticated mobile Internet access is allowing people who don't know each other to act in concert".


    Linked

    By Albert-Laszlo Barabasi. An engaging treatise about the fundamentals of interconnectedness and complexity that underlies neurology, epidemiology, Internet traffic, and many other fields.


    The Peaceable Kingdom

    By Stanley Hauerwas. A clear explication of a Christian ethic based upon the meaning of the gospel, highlighting virtues and character, and narrative as a mode of ethical reflection.


    The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Gospel & Wisdom, Gospel & Revelation

    By Graeme Goldsworthy. A collection of masterful works expositing on the centrality of the Scriptures: the gospel of Jesus Christ.


    Grace and Law: St. Paul, Kant, and the Hebrew Prophets

    By Heinz Cassirer. A Kantian scholar looks at the Old Testament Law, and Paul's understanding of it, concluding that Kant's delimma is answered by the gospel of grace.

The Un-Right Christians

Progressive Christian Blogger Network

Church Directory of Evangelical Blogs

Friday, February 04, 2005

Thoughts about being Jacob

It’s been a while since I wrote anything about my work. It has not been any better than when I wrote about it before. In fact, it has been worse. I have been reticent to write anything about my situation because of fear of repercussions like others have experienced (call me chicken but I do have a family to whom I owe responsibility), but it is getting to me somewhat, and I need to have a place to share some of my thoughts.

Over the time I have worked for her, my boss has managed to break not one but several promises to me and has changed my salary package three times, each time making it more difficult for me to earn what I want (and frankly, what I deserve). As a sales account manager, I depend on a commission arrangement for most of my earnings. I don’t really have a problem with that (being paid for performance), because I thrive at challenges and I have been in sales for a good part of my life, including a stint at running my own business.

Pay is not the only issue I have over here. My boss often reminds us because she is the “Founder, CEO and President” of the company, she can do whatever she likes, and she can give commands and expect our unquestioning obedience. A case in point: we sell software and consulting services to corporate customers. Recently, a customer asked me to provide a “ball-park” estimate for some computer equipment so that she can take those figures to talk to her internal IT department. My boss instructed me to go to Dell.com and price out the equipment and then bump the price by 10%. I opined (in an email) that we should probably just price the hardware and then send the customer to Dell to purchase it directly if they wanted, since they are in the business of selling hardware not us. She came back with a terse reply, which reads in part: “I wasn’t asking you. You will add 10% and send it to the customer.” So, you see, she doesn't appreciate and want feedback from her employees. We are just supposed to do as we are told. As I shared with a colleague the other day, the worse part of being treated like a monkey is that eventually you behave like one.

I often arrive at work between 8:15 a.m. and 8:20 a.m. in the morning even though the office starts at 8:00. I leave the office most evenings at 5:30 to 6:00. However, there are evenings when I just have to leave at 5:00 p.m. She has written me up in my appraisal that I need to (a) call my supervisor (her) when I am running late (b) work an “honest eight hours” based on my arrival time and (c) be more consistent with my arrival time. Recently I have received an email asking if I wish to change my working hours from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It doesn’t matter if I stay till 6 sometimes, or work during weekends, or on the odd occasion when I work late into the night (morning) because according to her, I must give "an honest 8 hours of work."

Partly in response to that email, a couple days ago, I sent an email to request for 2 hours off today for personal reasons, indicating to her that I had stayed till between 5:30 and 6:00 each day the past two weeks. Her reply is "OK, but! If you are coming in at 8:20+ leaving at 5:20+ doesn't mean you are putting in any extra time at all! After all, as an exempt employee you are supposed to work a minimum of 8 hours not a maximum." When I pointed out to her that I come in BEFORE 8:20 and leave AFTER 5:30, she asked, "Why are you arguing with me! After all, you haven't made quota yet, and if our roles were reversed, you would feel the same as me." I didn't reply that email because she demonstrated her inablity or refusal to listen or read my emails anyway, but if I had replied, I would have said this, "If our roles were differentreversed, you will be a much happier person than you are now." I have managed staff and I know my staff have regularly come to me and say that they appreciate my management style, and that they appreciate me, so I think that would have been a fair statement.

I can go on citing examples and anecdotes how crazy things are around here, but I think you can imagine it yourself by now. A few nights ago, my wife reminded me of the story of Jacob and Laban. It is an interesting story and parts of it resonate with me. Have a
read of what it says:
"I have been with you for twenty years now. Your sheep and goats have not miscarried, nor have I eaten rams from your flocks. I did not bring you animals torn by wild beasts; I bore the loss myself. And you demanded payment from me for whatever was stolen by day or night. This was my situation: The heat consumed me in the daytime and the cold at night, and sleep fled from my eyes. It was like this for the twenty years I was in your household. I worked for you fourteen years for your two daughters and six years for your flocks, and you changed my wages ten times. If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you."
I remember when we first began this part of our life journey that we felt God unequivocably gave us a promise in Genesis 50:20:
"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives"
Our subsequent experiences confirmed to us that God has been leading us and most of all, that He cares and looks after us in our adversities. We have time and again experienced His gracious and merciful intervention in our lives so even though things have been quite stressful and life uncertain, we know that God has been there all along walking with us. Yet, sometimes, when I have to face another situation or issue at work, I just have to ask, "Are you with me, God?"

Perhaps that's the wrong question. The story of Jacob reminds me of other Scriptures which tells me that God has already given me all the resources to do well no matter what circumstance I find myself. Even in the hardest of conditions, God has promised to be with me. Jacob had to work 20 years! 14 years in order to get the wife of his dreams and then another 6 more for his livestock. I supposed 2-3 years for me doesn't even compare. What I need to focus on is to allow God's blessings to flow through me. As my wife says, "You will prosper and the company will prosper because God is with you!"

Usually I cringe when I hear such messages, especially if it is from the pulpit. It is dangerously close to the "success gospel" that I think is so rampant in this "me-centered" culture that we live in. Yet, when my wife said that to me, I realized that the most important thing about "prosperity" and the Old Testament notion of "doing well" is not just about material success.


I believe in the Old Testament "prosperity" is a sign of having peace with God, self and neighbors. If that is what is meant by prosperity, I am going to make myself a channel of blessing, and bring prosperity not only to myself, but also to my colleagues at work, and especially to my boss.

In spite of all the belittling and soul-damaging ways that my boss dishes out, I need to rise above and demonstrate the peace of God that is already within me because He has given me the Holy Spirit, and allow God to so infuze me that I can allow Him to turn every upset, every hurt and every harm into a blessing, not just for me but also for everyone around me. I pray that I will have the strength, courage and wisdom so to do and be Jacob in this place.