Name:
Location: Irvine, California, United States

E-mail Me

My Blog Profile

Technorati search

    WWW
    ...in the outer...

My Amazon Wish List

    Search Now:

Subscribe

Help fuel my writing dream...

My Bloglines Subs & Stuff

    Listed by category are subscriptions to blogs I monitor and read. Check them out!

    Note: Sites listed by this blog does not imply endorsement of anything except when they promote this site.

Other Cool Sites I Visit

Recommended for your Library


    Ethics: The Heart of Leadership

    Edited by Joanne Ciulla. An important collection of essays by philosophers, leadership and management thinkers considering the role of ethics in leadership


    Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

    By Robert K. Greenleaf, Larry C. Spears, Stephen R. Covey. Servant and leader--can these two roles be fused in one real person in all levels of status and calling?


    Warranted Christian Belief

    By Alvin Plantinga. Third in a trilogy of works on the issue of warrant - the basis of the rationality of Christian beliefs written by arguably the most important philosopher of religion alive today


    Renovation of the Heart

    By Dallas Willard. A philosopher and quintessential Christian teacher relates and reflects on what it means to put on the character of Christ.


    Foreign Bodies

    By Hwee Hwee Tan. An impressive first novel by young new author from Singapore acclaimed as an up and coming Pulitzer Prize winner


    Mammon Inc.

    By Hwee-Hwee Tan. Second novel by this very important young new author from Singapore applauded the world over, including The Times in London and the New York Times


    Three Philosophies of Life

    By Peter Kreeft. Three life philosophies presented through the works of three of Scriptures most beautiful poetry books, Job, Ecclesiastes and Songs of Solomon


    Horrendous Evil and the Goodness of God

    By Marilyn McCord-Adams. A seminal response to the age-old problem of evil which attempts to take seriously the theological ramifications of the character of God


    Blink

    By Malcolm Gladwell. Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant.


    Smart Mobs

    By Howard Rheingold. A social commentary about how "sophisticated mobile Internet access is allowing people who don't know each other to act in concert".


    Linked

    By Albert-Laszlo Barabasi. An engaging treatise about the fundamentals of interconnectedness and complexity that underlies neurology, epidemiology, Internet traffic, and many other fields.


    The Peaceable Kingdom

    By Stanley Hauerwas. A clear explication of a Christian ethic based upon the meaning of the gospel, highlighting virtues and character, and narrative as a mode of ethical reflection.


    The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Gospel & Wisdom, Gospel & Revelation

    By Graeme Goldsworthy. A collection of masterful works expositing on the centrality of the Scriptures: the gospel of Jesus Christ.


    Grace and Law: St. Paul, Kant, and the Hebrew Prophets

    By Heinz Cassirer. A Kantian scholar looks at the Old Testament Law, and Paul's understanding of it, concluding that Kant's delimma is answered by the gospel of grace.

The Un-Right Christians

Progressive Christian Blogger Network

Church Directory of Evangelical Blogs

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Blog-Interview

The Blog-interviews are taking place throughout Blogosphere. I first came across it at The Bilbe Archive when Rey was interviewed by Rebecca of Rebecca Writes. I decided to join in and invited Rey to interview me.

Here are the questions and answers:

1. Which verse(s) stand out as giving you personally the most comfort?

Many verses in the Bible offer comfort to me at different times in my spiritual walk. The ones that offer me the most comfort currently are those that reaffirms to me that the Creator of the Universe cares for us (me!) and promises never to leave or forsake us (me!). Imagine! Even the Lord Jesus in His experience on earth was not spared this devastating experience of being forsaken! Yet, He who was tempted and who has suffered in every way as we are, gives us this precious promise to be with us no matter what, no matter where!

Reading the Gospel stories, I draw the most comfort from the simple and short verse found in John 11, "Jesus wept." (verse 35). I have already posted on this passage, so I will only say here that what this verse tells me is that I have a Savior who is intimately involved with my life circumstances and although He knows all things, especially the end (and the final resolution of all things), He is involved in our situation right now, enough to be moved with compassion and to weep alongside us.

This is indeed amazing grace.

2. Are you a morning person or a night owl?

Hah! Definitely a night owl! There are times when I have trained myself to get up in the morning, and even to be pumped up and motivated in the morning because of work situations. When I was managing a team of sales and customer service people, we used to have breakfast meetings every Monday at 7:30 a.m. (Who came up with such a crazy idea??), but I get really hyper, and excited when everyone has turned in at night, and I am alone in my own study, with my books, my computer, and my thoughts...

3. What’s the best thing about being a Dad?

The best thing is to be loved back! When my kids come to me and give me a hug, or when they tell me how their day has gone, and simply hanging out with my kids and chatting with them. Yesterday, my youngest came home from school and we took Elvis, our precocious little Shitzu for a walk and she gave me a blow-by-blow account of her day at school, and I felt on top of the world. I felt so privileged to be able to spend that time with her and decided that the recent laying off had some positives to it!

4. What’s the best fictional book you’ve ever read? >

That has to be Mammon, Inc. by Hwee Hwee Tan. I haven't read much fiction in a while, but when about two years ago I found Tan's Foreign Bodies and read it in over three evenings, and decided to get her second novel, which at the time was only available via Amazon UK site. When I received it, I read it in a day and a half!

Tan weaves a story of a young Christian graduate with a promising future in front of her having to face the difficult decision of what she ought to be doing after college. It is a Gen-X story par excellence, and I promise you once you get hit with the opening sentence you will not want to put it down.

Because the protagonist is a young woman from Singapore, but the setting of the book crosses continents, from the dusty halls of Oxford, to the shining lights of Manhattan, back to the hustle-bustle of Orchard Road, Singapore, you will find the craft of an artist as Tan deftly intermingles cross-cultural themes with veiled references to Star Wars to portray some very universal themes about life, decisions and consequences. In the midst of it all, Tan cleverly questions cultural beliefs and norms with wit and humor as she draws you into the challenges of a twenty-something up-and-comer in the world struggling between spiritual values and monetary success. Well, what more can I say? Go read it yourself!

5. Who are what are the Freo Dockers?

Ah, the Fremantle Dockers. The next great team of the Australian Football League. I used to attend every home game, come rain or shine, but alas, now that I am so far away, I have to make do with the internet, and I still watch replays of some of the classic games on tape.

The Freo Dockers as they are also known is one of the new expansion teams in the AFL and they are touted as one of the young teams with loads of talent but has yet tasted the glory of a Premiership (the championship). I have a feeling in my bones though that it will be Real Soon Now.

>Note: If you wish to play the Blog Interview Game, leave me a comment on this post, and I will visit your blog and then post you five questions here. You will then need to go back to your blog, and post your answers to it.